Ed Note: It’s Holiday Spirit Week here at Rock Creek Runner, and we’re celebrating with two awesome giveaways to help you kick-start your training in the new year. You can still enter to win the first awesome giveaway here.
Originally I was going to split this giveaway up into separate nutrition and hydration prizes, but then it dawned on me how awesome it would be to win one incredible prize featuring goodies from so many amazing companies. But before we get into that, let’s talk a bit about fueling.
The Importance of Fueling Right During a Long Run
Keeping up with nutrition and hydration can make or break a distance runner. Unfortunately scarfing down a dozen donuts isn’t going to cut it, so, it’s important to know how to fuel properly.
The very general rule of thumb is that during a run longer than an hour, you should consume:
- 30-60 grams of carbohydrates
- 150-200 calories
- And drink to thirst
Finding foods and drinks that are easy on the stomach, easily digestible, and contain the proper amount of calorie – carbohydrate – electrolyte ratio is key. Electrolytes keep the muscles and body moving properly, and calories/carbs give you the sugars and fat that feed your energy levels. Achieving that balance will help ward off major bonks and muscle cramps.
In today’s giveaway, I’ve assembled a great package of nutritional products that have that perfect blend to keep you running long.
- Ultimate Direction Access Hydration Waist pack: Ultimate Direction has been paving the way in innovative hydration packs for long time, and this alternative to the handheld is a perfect example. It comes with the signature UD 20oz bottle, and offers plenty of room for gels, chews, or bars.
- Nuun Original 4-Pack + Holiday Pint Glass (not pictured): Electrolyte hydration drinks are nothing new, but where other companies falter, Nuun does it right. They are packed with just the right formula of electrolytes to keep you energized, alleviate cramps, and keep your muscles functioning properly. Just add a tablet to your bottle of water and off you go.
- Pocketful Naturals 2-Pack: Tired of gels? I thought so. Loaded with purred whole foods high in potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and sodium, Pocketful is an all natural, organic, vegan way to get your refuel with just the right blend of minerals and calories during your next long run. We’re giving away two for the winner to test out.
- Bearded Brothers Bars 2-Pack: I had the privilege of visiting the Bearded Brothers warehouse in Austin recently, and after testing out several of the bars myself, I just had to pick up a few more to add to this giveaway. The 100% natural, vegan, raw, gluten and soy free bars provide a perfectly clean food to refuel with after a run, or to take along with you on the trail.
How the Giveaway Works
I’ve set it up so everyone has the opportunity to get as many as 8 entries into the giveaway. You don’t need to complete all of the options to be entered into the giveaway, but as with the Injinji Compression Sock giveaway, the more you complete, the more chances you have of being drawn. If you’re already a subscriber or follower, no worries, sign in and click “done” and you’ll still get the point.
This contest will end Sunday, December 8th at 11:59pm ET, giving you plenty of time to enter before the end of Holiday Spirit Week. I’ll update this post with winners on Monday.
Huge thanks to Nuun and the other companies for providing some of the products in this giveaway.
Happy Holiday Spirit Week, and may the odds be ever in your favor.
And the winner is….Maggie! Check your email for details.